Sunday, September 20, 2009

skin deep





Ariana Page Russell - ‘Index’ 2005

“My own skin frequently blushes and swells. I have dermatographia, a condition in which one’s immune system exhibits hypersensitivity, via skin, that releases excessive amounts of histamine, causing capillaries to dilate and welts to appear (lasting about thirty minutes) when the skin’s surface is lightly scratched. This allows me to painlessly draw patterns and words on my skin, which I then photograph.”

[source = Ariana's website]
---
How amazing! I'm pretty sure this woman was born to be an artist. She could make some really politically significant work, like etching the Bible or Koran into her skin, or making other statements about her sexuality and race. I'll be keeping an eye on her work, as I have a special interest in body related art. Well anything body related, but the idea of hybridizing two of my passions, the human body and art is just too good to be true.

No comments: