Saturday, April 25, 2009

Philosophy is Sexy

The more I look the more I like... Admittedly, majority of ancient philosophers and politicians are butt-ugly, but some of the empowering, brutal, egoistic things they've said would definitely have earned them a go in any young maiden's pants I reckon.



KARL MARX
“Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workingmen of all countries, unite!”



SIGMUND FREUD“The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is ''What does a woman want?''



MARTIN HEIDEGGER "Man acts as though he were the shaper and master of language, while in fact language remains the master of man."

----------------------------------------

On a less philosophical note, I sold my first illustration print today in my etsy shop today. The funny thing is, I didn't really like this piece and was contemplating taking it off when it sold. Interesting. I actually really like the story that went along with it. Take a look.


"This is Maisie, daughter of the forest and plains. She was brought up by the creatures of the forest, and though she is accepted as a member of the great family, she can't help feeling a little different at times. She ponders this often, studying those around her, observing silently.

"Some are blessed with wings," she'd think, craning her neck to see her bony shoulderblades, "and others with big paws", glancing at her pale fingers. So why not I?

Her surrogate mother, the great tawny owl surprised Maisie with a costume for her birthday, so she can feel as free as her feathered friends."

I have since added 2 new prints which are scanned versions of my 2 most recent wood panel illustrations. The snowy scene received very positive feedback on facebook, and I think I might use it for the show invite? .. come to think of it, I still have no idea what i want to name the show. I would like it to be either short and snappy or longer and more contemplative along the lines of a 'dark innocence' kindof a contradiction of sorts. hmm. anyhow. Here is Suzie in the Snow with Peter the Owl and their story.


"
There are few things in the world that Suzie enjoys more than watching the first snow fall over her little village. She shares the secret hideaway with her trusty companion Peter the Owl, and the ancient fig tree from which the name of her hometown was named, Fig Hill. Though this tree has bore no fruit for many decades, it has provided a shelter for countless bird families, housing generations of baby chickadees. On this fine moonlit evening, in the stillness of the night, all appears well in the world."






and a portrait I attempted last night. Her name is Lily.

"
If you were to ask Lily a question, nine times out of ten she will reply with a dreamy "hmmm?", due to the fact that she likes to spend her time daydreaming, and fantasizing her time away. Not that she doesn't have her feet firmly on the ground, its more that she prefers to have her head in the clouds. Its much prettier."

No comments: