Saturday, September 5, 2009

feh feh feh feature!









Instead of talking about Sam Weber, I decided to let him do the talking himself. I read an interview with him and discovered his art through a friend's blog and am absolutely in love with it. amazing amazing! And now i HAVE to go to NY, not that I didn't before but now I simply must. So here is an excerpt from an interview on Lost at E Minor.

There always seems to be a dark undercurrent to your work. The subjects never seem particularly happy but rather have expressions of either surprise or fear. Why is this is such a prominent feature of your illustration work?
‘People have said that before about my work. I think it has a little to do with the type of stories that interest me, and have always interested me. Fairy Tales, cautionary stories, things meant to scare children. I’ve grown to appreciate those stories even more as I’ve grown older. There is something in those stories, and the exaggerated misery and tragedy, that I respond to, or at least have recently. As far as a tool for convey my own ideas and interests, they serve as wonderful metaphors and jumping off points. There are so many horrible things going on in the world, it’s calming I think to garner a little surprise or sense of unease from a fictitious image. A lot of it could be chalked up to simple escapism I suppose’.

3 comments:

firefly said...

I love this. Especially that lion picture and the little girl flying.

fruzsi said...

i knoww.. they are amaazing :)
so inspirational!!

Joyti said...

All of those are beautiful...and just a little bit frightening, in that way that beautiful things are...