Friday, June 10, 2011

feature friday VIII - betsy walton





Betsy Walton's is the kind of art where you go "whoa, where do I start?" because you are overwhelmed by the amount of intricate detail and dense visual information. Yet this overlaying of imagery is so right. It is perplexing and I just can't get enough. Betsy's website houses the entire current collection, so be sure to take a look. For me, her work is reminiscent of one of my all time favourite painters, Frida Kahlo in the sense that they have an earthy, "naive" feel, and a certain element of magic which cannot be learned. In her own words Betsy explains that "her p
aintings and drawings explore the tension and balance between the mysterious nature of our existence and the objects and environments we find in everyday life." Simply beautiful!

2 comments:

Ella said...

your synopsis of her work is right on par! i actually have one of her pieces hanging in my bedroom....the colors and detail is jaw dropping, really!

fruzsi said...

Thank you Ella. Glad you felt my writing represented her work correctly. Wow I am so impressed, you have a painting of hers? Well its my birthday today so maybe if i wish hard enough..